BURANK, Calif. — Eight prominent motorsports figures have been chosen by the West Coast Stock Car Hall of Fame to comprise its 2012 class of inductees, the Hall’s ninth since being founded in 2001.
Selected by vote of the Hall’s board of directors in the Historic category – achievements 1930-1970 — are:
· The Justice Brothers, whose fuel and lubrication additives have been and continue to be used by competitors not only in stock cars but throughout the industry. The company is a pioneer in contingency sponsorship of racing teams.
· B.L. Marchbanks, whose 1.4-mile Marchbanks Speedway near Hanford, Calif. hosted a number of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races whose winners included Fireball Roberts. The track also staged several U.S. Auto Club races under promotion of Hall of Fame member J.C. Agajanian won by A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti and Gordon Johncock.
· Bob Phillipi, a Northern California Lincoln-Mercury dealer, won in the 1940s and 1950s. His drivers included Hall of Fame members Marvin Burke, Ben Gregory and Johnny Soares.
· Fred Steinbroner raced out of Los Angeles and won several races in the pre-NASCAR days and once held the all-time track record on the wall at Oakland Speedway driving a Lincoln.
To be inducted from the Modern, post-1970 era are:
· Butch Gilliland, the 1997 NASCAR K&N Pro Series West champion and winner of 13 victories in the division. His then crew chief, son David Gilliland, currently competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
· Vic Kurten, a prominent Ford car owner during 1970s. With the late Sonny Easley driving, Kurten’s car won the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West’s first race at Mazda Laguna Seca Raceway.
· Bill McAnally, a five-time NASCAR K&N Pro Series West owner champion, former series driver and promoter at various West Coast tracks including Roseville (Calif.) Speedway.
· Pat McElreath, crew chief for Hall of Fame member Herschel McGriff, who won 12 races with McElreath in 1972. The two also paired for a fifth-place finish in the 1973 Daytona 500.
This year’s induction ceremonies will be held June 21 at the Napa Smith Brewery in Napa, Calif., the evening before start of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series weekend in Sonoma. Tickets and table sponsorships are available by contacting Dusty Brandel, 818-842-7005 or Ken Clapp, 925-552-9887.BREAKING NEWS: SPEED SPORT is back in print with a new monthly format! Subscribe for just $24.95. Special offer for former subscribers.