ANDERSON, Ind. – Jimmy McCune kept his dream of sweeping Saturday’s Must See Racing Sprint Car Series opener alive by rolling to the fastest lap in Hamilton Trucking Time Trials at Anderson Speedway.
The four-time and defending series champion, who was the final driver to qualify among the 21-car field, toured the quarter-mile, high-banked oval in 11.006 seconds (81.774 mph) with the familiar No. 88 Abe’s Auto Parts/B&B Machinery Movers/Rev-X Oil sprinter.
“The car is good,” McCune said. “We changed some things from last year to hopefully fix some of our struggles on the short tracks, and I feel like we’re closer. Hopefully we made the right changes for tonight’s heat race and feature, but it’s been an extremely chilly day and challenging, as well. The track is cold and doesn’t have a lot of grip.
“We’ve fought that and tried to find the happy spot, but this is a good start, for sure.”
Saturday evening’s effort marked McCune’s ninth Must See Racing Fast Time Award and his fourth at Anderson, a track where he’s won five times before in his Must See Racing career.
That success and familiarity lends itself to a level of comfort, McCune noted.
“This is one of my favorite places to come to, so that’s always a plus,” he said. “I love racing this joint.”
Charlie Schultz, who McCune bumped from the top spot right at the end of qualifying, ended up second-fastest and just .041 seconds off of the pole time.
Anthony McCune, Jimmy McCune’s nephew, followed in third. Geoff Kaiser and Jeff Bloom followed in fourth and fifth, respectively.
Joe Liguori, Tyler Roahrig, Tom Jewell, Trey Osborne and Canadian Ryan Litt completed the top 10.
Racing at Anderson Speedway is slated to kick off shortly after 8:15 p.m. local time.
QUALIFYING RESULTS: Must See Racing Sprint Car Series; Anderson Speedway; May 4, 2019
- #88 – Jimmy McCune, 11.006 seconds
- #9s – Charlie Schultz, 11.047 seconds
- #8 – Anthony McCune, 11.075 seconds
- #10n – Geoff Kaiser, 11.075 seconds
- #26 – Jeff Bloom, 11.095 seconds
- #13 – Joe Liguori, 11.179 seconds
- #99s – Tyler Roahrig, 11.207 seconds
- #7 – Tom Jewell, 11.217 seconds
- #81 – Trey Osborne, 11.268 seconds
- #07L – Ryan Litt, 11.361 seconds
- #75c – Jerry Caryer, 11.414 seconds
- #10k – Christian Koehler, 11.657 seconds
- #51s – Joshua Sexton, 11.878 seconds
- #85 – Rick Holley, 12.019 seconds
- #32 – Todd McQuillen, 12.328 seconds
- #22 – Tony Grams, 12.401 seconds
- #11g – Tom Geren, 12.421 seconds
- #15t – Tim Henthorne, 12.443 seconds
- #99k – Brendan Torok, 12.629 seconds
- #4L – Anthony Linkenhoker, 13.098 seconds
- #71 – Brian Vaughn, NT