PARRAMATTA, Australia – Following a public outcry from race fans about the reported destruction of Valvoline Raceway in Australia, local government officials have announced plans for a new speedway in New South Wales.
Track officials revealed Monday that the land where the track is located is part of a compulsory land acquisition to facilitate a new rail system, which will take passengers from Paramatta into Central Sydney.
However, following the public outcry that followed the announcement, Minister for Transport Andrew Constance said in a press release agencies across the government will work together to build a new speedway.
“The community and racing fans can be assured that the NSW government remains absolutely committed to relocating speedway racing in Sydney,” Constance said.
“I acknowledge the long standing presence of the current Sydney Speedway (Valvoline Raceway) and its significance to Western Sydney over the last 42 years. I am absolutely committed to ensuring that speedway racing has a bigger and brighter future in the region for decades to come. The NSW Government owns sufficient land in Western Sydney to accommodate a new speedway facility.”
Track owner Barry Waldron had already begun negotiations with the Sydney Speedway land owners, Crown Lands, about a long-term lease for the facility prior to being informed by the local government about the need for the land as part of the new rail system.
Valvoline Raceway will continue to operate as normal through the 2021 season, at which point the local government will take possession of the facility and begin demolition in order to build a stabling yard and operations center as part of the rail project.