Mother Nature Can’t Slow Mike Smith


DUNDEE, N.Y. – Mother Nature was overall unkind to the fans and racers at Black Rock Speedway on Sunday, then again, there were two dry windows that did allow the program to become official.

After ran stayed away from Dundee for much of the midday, a heavy rain storm hit just after the sportsman heats, forcing a delay of over two hours. Once the track was worked back in, some great qualifiers along with the IMCA Modified feature were completed.

As the street stocks were on the track though, another heavy cell moved over the speedway and forced the postponement of the remainder of the street stock race and the others until July 28.

The rain was a big break for Chris Fisher. The defending street stock champion, had led the first 13 laps, but fell back to second behind Brett Marlatt when the left rear tire went down on the No. 37, but before he had to go pitside, the red flag came out, allowing him to stay up front when the race resumes next month.

In more than two years of IMCA Modified competition at Black Rock, Mike Smith has won 20 races, but not until Friday had he captured a tour win.

Smith, the two-time IMCA Track Champion, took the lead form Rich Karlonski on lap four and then held a steady distance over hard chargers Mike Wilmot and Chris Fleming to pick up the biggest win at his home track.

After Smith had taken the lead, local favorite Phil Yaw, along with Karlnoski, both suffered mechanical failures, allowing guys like Wilmot and Fleming to find their way to the front. Despite charging up front quickly, they could not seem to gain much ground on Smith. Wilmot would hang on for second ahead of Fleming, Matt Roberts and Gary Robets.

Before any rain arrived in Dundee, Brandon Mathews swiftly picked up the win in the bandit division, becoming the first driver in the division to notch his second win of the year. Mathews moved by Joey Rodbourn on the opening lap then held a steady distance over Brandon Kinner and Allison Teed to revisit Victory Lane.