Stewart Controls Fremont Opener


FREMONT, Ohio — Shane Stewart has found a good fit with the Joe Gaerte and Tim Norman owned sprint car.

The Bixby, Okla., driver took the lead on lap 18 from his 13th starting spot and went on to capture the opening night win in the Fort Ball Pizza Palace 410 Sprints at Fremont Speedway on JRC Transportation of Clyde night.

Stewart passed Phil Gressman with a low move on lap 18 to take the lead and then held off Byron Reed after the field was bunched up for a debris caution with four laps remaining for his second career Fremont victory.

“This is a testament to this team. The whole key was this thing was rotating around the bottom really good early on in the race. We were actually going to tighten it up and Joe (Gaerte) talked me out of it and it’s a good thing he did,” said Stewart beside his C&B Mushrooms, DDNI, Gaerte Engines, XYZ Machining, All Star Performance, Red Line Oil backed #3G. “I really can’t thank Chris Luck enough, DDNI, KPC Chassis, SST Shocks and of course Gaerte Engines…they all do their part.”

Behind Stewart and Reed at the checkered flag were Phil Gressman, Chris Andrews and Todd Heller.

After crashing hard the previous week battling for the lead at Attica Raceway Park, Caleb Griffith, who hails from Castalia, Ohio, earned a measure of redemption in the Fremont Federal Credit Union 305 Sprints, as he took the lead from Alvin Roepke on lap 15 and cruised to his third career victory at “The Track That Action Built.”

“My hats off to my guys. They worked on this thing until late every night this week,” said Griffith, the track’s 2003 division champion. “I hung out in third for awhile and when we got to lapped traffic the car started to really click.”

Fostoria, Ohio’s Bob Dible started the year…well not performing so good. But, he worked hard on his Bob’s Machine Shop/BMS Engines truck over the week and it paid off. He led all 20 laps of the Fremont Fence & Guardrail Dirt Truck main to record his 12th career victory at Fremont.

“What a difference a week makes. At Attica it was so bad we went back home and put it on the drawing board and evidentially what ever we did worked,” said Dible, noting over the winter he changed from an S-10 to a Dodge Dakota. “I waited until the first of February to get started….it’s been a long three weeks. I have to thank all the guys that support Bob’s Machine Shop…that helps me keep racing. I have to thank my parents and my wife, who’s home watching our granddaughter and all my pit crew.”