Mark Smith Repeats At Selinsgrove


SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Mark Smith became the first repeat sprint car winner of the season in the 25-lap 358-360 sprint car feature Saturday night at Selinsgrove Speedway.

Smith, driving the Mach 1 Chassis No. 1, took home $2,000 for his seventh career win in 358-360 sprint car racing at the half-mile oval.

Dan Stone wired the field for his first win of the season in the first-ever Three State Flyers Late Model Series 35-lap feature. Stone earned $3,000 for his sixth career super late model victory at the track.

Despite a one-hour rain delay, the speedway was in excellent condition for the competitive field of 25 sprint car and 24 late model drivers on Jeff’s Auto Body & Recycling Night.

Second-place starter Colby Womer powered into the lead at the start of the sprint car feature. Womer was chased by polesitter Cody Keller. The race’s first caution flag unfurled on lap four when Scott Lutz’s car stopped on the backstretch.

When the race resumed, Keller challenged Womer for the lead and made a successful pass using the inside lane in turn two on lap five. A lap later, eighth-place starter Mark Smith advanced to second. At the halfway point, Keller had a strong lead over Smith until his car lost power on the frontstretch.

Smith inherited the lead with Womer, seventh-place starter Pat Cannon, fifth-place starter Ryan Kissinger, and 12th-place starter Davie Franek competing in the top five. Then the red flag stopped the race on lap 13 when Matt Horst and Mark Bittner crashed in turn two. Both drivers escaped injury.

On the restart, Smith opened up a lead while an intense battle unfolded for second between Womer and Cannon. A wheel-to-wheel race also unfolded for the fourth position between fourth-place starter Jason Shultz and 11th-place starter Davie Franek.

Cannon took over second when Womer’s car bobbled in turn four on lap 22. With two laps remaining, Franek stormed into third. At the checkered flag, Smith was victorious by 2.5 seconds over Cannon, Franek, Shultz, and Womer.

The late model feature started with a two-car tangle in turn two before a rain delay stopped the race for about one hour. When the race restarted, polesitter Dan Stone stormed into the lead over second-place starter Andy Haus. On the second circuit, Haus and third-place starter Matt Cochran see-sawed for the runner-up position.

Cochran took over second and set his sites on Stone as fourth-place starter Steve Campbell powered into the third position. By lap 14, Cochran was beginning to reel in Stone in slower traffic. On a lap 17 restart, Cochran’s car was glued to Stone’s around the lightning-fast half mile oval. Meanwhile, an intense race for third unfolded between Campbell and sixth-place starter Jeff Rine.

Misfortune struck Cochran on lap 26 when his front fender came off and a tire went flat. On the lap 27 restart, the top four drivers pulled away from the pack with Stone now fending off Campbell for the lead. With two laps remaining, Rine’s car fell off the pace and 12th-place starter Kenny Pettyjohn took over the third position.

At the finish, Stone was victorious by just 1.3 seconds over Campbell, Haus, Pettyjohn, and 18th-place starter Dylan Yoder.

Previous articleRain Ends Port Royal Program Early
Next articleSwanson Pockets $5,000 At Fremont is America's Trusted Motorsports Authority. Since 1934, SPEED SPORT has been the destination for all things motorsports news...from NASCAR to Formula 1, Sprint Cars to Top Fuel dragsters, Supercross to Superbikes.