CONCORD, N.C. – Back by popular demand, the stars of Red Bull Global Rallycross return to The Dirt Track at Charlotte July 25-26 for two days of heart-pounding, adrenaline-pumping racing action in the heart of NASCAR country.
After a successful inaugural event in the infield of the legendary 1.5-mile Charlotte Motor Speedway in 2012, the competition transitioned to the lightning-fast, four-tenths-mile facility of The Dirt Track last year, where it is set to return next month.
“It’s awesome to have Global Rallycross back for the third consecutive year,” said Marcus Smith, president and general manager of Charlotte Motor Speedway. “These guys put on an unbelievable show last year at The Dirt Track and the fans enjoyed every second of it. I’m looking forward to seeing what these action sports stars can do this summer.”
Recently seen at X Games Austin, these 600-horsepower, all-wheel drive, turbocharged compact cars go from 0 to 60 in less than two seconds as drivers steer through hairpin turns, across jumps, over walls and through a series of chicanes and other exciting features designed to test every driver’s focus and control.
Expected to compete in next month’s event in the Supercars division are defending Charlotte champion and recent X Games gold medalist Scott Speed, Brian Deegan, Ken Block, Steve Arpin, Tanner Foust, Bucky Lasek and more. Headlining the GRC Lites division are 2014 X Games gold medalist Mitchell DeJong, Austin Cindric and Kevin Eriksson.
“Charlotte is the only location besides the X Games that we’ve returned to three times,” said Foust. “I always love the tracks there, so I can’t wait to do battle in July.”
Event action will get underway with practice and qualifying on Friday night. On-track action continues Saturday at 11 a.m. Gates open at 4 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. on Saturday. The main events on Saturday will be broadcast live on NBC at 2 p.m.