KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Apparently purposely wrecking a racing vehicle is acceptable, but standing up for your investment is not.
NASCAR has cleared Kyle Busch for his role in an incident with team owner Richard Childress Saturday where Childress confronted Busch and according to reports, “put a whipping on the 26-year-old driver.
NASCAR President Mike Helton spoke about the incident involving the 65-year-old team owner who fields entries in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and Sprint Cup Series.
“NASCAR has reviewed the incident involving Richard Childress and Kyle Busch after the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race Saturday at Kansas Speedway. We have met with all parties involved and have determined what happened yesterday is unacceptable and will not be tolerated by NASCAR,” said Helton.
“Richard Childress’s actions were not appropriate and fell far short of the standard we expect of owners in this sport. We have met with Childress this morning and made our position very clear to him. Further, we expect he will make it clear to all in his organization to ensure this situation does not escalate any further. We will announce our actions regarding this incident Monday.”
The incident came with Busch already on probation following an incident with Childress driver Kevin Harvick at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway in May.
“Kyle Busch remains on probation with NASCAR and we continue to watch his actions carefully,” Helton said. “However, we have determined that Kyle’s involvement in this incident does not violate his probation and no further action is required.”
Saturday’s altercation came after Busch rammed into RCR driver Joey Coulter following the O’Reilly 250 Truck race when Coulter roughed up Busch to take fifth place on the final lap.
Busch had previously damaged one of Childress’ cars at Darlington when he pushed Harvick’s No. 29 into the pit wall following the Southern 500.