CHARLOTTE, N.C. – JTG Daugherty Racing unveiled a new sponsorship strategy on Wednesday at the NASCAR Hall of Fame, as well as its two paint schemes for the Daytona 500 next month.
JTG Daugherty’s new business model will highlight longtime sponsor Kroger and its associated partner brands throughout the season.
The No. 47 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series entry, driven this year by Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender Ryan Preece, will highlight and promote the new Kroger shopping and delivery options.
Kroger’s expanded services allow shoppers to order groceries online for curbside pickup, delivery from a nearby Kroger store to homes, and offers a ship-to-home service accessible from anywhere in the country.
“I can’t think of a better team to start my Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career with,” Preece said. “Kroger’s new services make it easy to access Kroger groceries anywhere we travel and is available to race fans across the country. I’m excited to get the season started with JTG Daugherty Racing, and I am proud to showcase the Kroger Pickup, Delivery and Ship services on our No. 47 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 this season.”
The No. 37 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series entry returns with Chris Buescher at the wheel. In previous seasons, the team had numerous brands that rotated on the hood from race to race, making it difficult for any particular brand to consistently communicate with the race fans.
New for this year, the team will highlight shopper themes throughout the season that allow groups of brands to communicate with fans when they are most likely to be focused on specific buying occasions.
The unique approach will feature seven themes that will be showcased on the hood for consecutive weeks at a time:
- Flavor Fill Up: the month of March focuses on when sporting events such as the NCAA Basketball tournament encourages a snacking occasion, and when Kroger is highlighting National Frozen Foods Month. Corporate partners include Unilever, Kraft-Heinz, Conagra, General Mills, and Kellogg’s.
- Speedup Your Cleanup: the month of April will highlight the spring-cleaning season where shoppers are focused on buying from corporate partners such as such as Clorox, Procter & Gamble and Kimberly-Clark Corporation.
- Personal Pit Stop: personal healthcare brands take center stage on the hood in May with corporate partners Procter & Gamble and Unilever.
- Thrill of the Grill: June and July highlights everyone’s love for summer grilling with relevant brands from Clorox, Unilever, Kraft-Heinz, General Mills, Bush’s Beans, and Southeastern Mills.
- Fast Start: theme will occur during back-to-school timing when families are stocking up on partner product for their change of schedule and the new school year.
- Fast Lane to Flavor: focuses on healthy meal solutions for families on the go with brands from General Mills, Bush’s Beans, Clorox and Conagra.
- Simmer Like a Winner: as the weather turns cooler, fans will enjoy shopping for their crock pot recipes with brands from Bush’s Beans, Kraft, ConAgra and General Mills.
Of note, Buescher’s No. 37 Chevrolet will feature Kleenex Wet Wipes branding during the Daytona 500 on Feb. 17.
“I’m really excited to showcase our brands in a really unique marketing approach this season on the No. 37 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1,” Buescher said. “JTG Daugherty Racing has always had a one-of-a-kind sponsorship strategy, and this just amplifies it as we head into a new year with our brands.”
To bring the entire program to life and to simplify the communication between NASCAR fans and Kroger.com, the team is also introducing a new mobile technology.
All JTG Daugherty Racing advertising during each month throughout the season will encourage shoppers to text a key word that directs the fans to fun tips, sweepstakes, and Kroger savings for the brands highlighted by the shopper themes.
“We are fortunate to work every day with innovators in the retail industry,” said team owner Tad Geschickter. “I’m excited about the new marketing plan we have developed together. I know that this new approach will deliver great engagement with our NASCAR fans and will create positive sales results for Kroger and our brand partners.
“I can’t wait to see the whole thing come to life on the racetrack. It’s time to win races and sell cases in 2019.”