Brendan Gaughan Tests Positive For COVID-19

0
1413
Brendan Gaughan Tests Positive
Brendan Gaughan has tested positive for COVID-19. (Daylon Barr photo)

LAS VEGAS – Part-time NASCAR Cup Series driver Brendan Gaughan confirmed Wednesday that he has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus.

Gaughan made the revelation during SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s “On Track” program, adding that his positive test came on July 10. The news was initially reported by NBC Sports.

“So I’m indoors for a couple weeks,” Gaughan said on the show. “No wife, no kids for two weeks. I am indoor, quarantined with my puppy and staying isolated on one side of the house and the kids are at a friend’s house, hanging out, playing and swimming.

“My son just texted me this morning, saying ‘I miss you daddy.’”

In his typical, lighthearted nature, Gaughan took a moment to discuss what he’s been up to in quarantine, dealing with the tough situation as best he can.

“I’m good, I’m here,” Gaughan noted. “I’ve been watching racing. I have lots of time to catch up on many things. Yesterday I was down to the Lone Ranger reruns and Matlock, so I have all sorts of energy to get out today.”

But Gaughan was also quick to point out what led to him going to get tested, relaying that it wasn’t necessarily something serious, but it was enough to raise a red flag.

“I’m fine,” he said. “I had a head cold with a headache, a stuffy nose and a little post-nasal drip and that’s it. That’s really the most of anything I’ve had, maybe felt tired one of the days or so.”

According to Gaughan, all of his co-workers have been tested and all of those tests came back negative for COVID-19.

Gaughan is the second NASCAR Cup Series driver to test positive for COVID-19, following the shock announcement of Jimmie Johnson’s positive test result prior to the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway earlier in the month.

Johnson was cleared to return to competition last weekend at Kentucky Speedway, after two negative tests more than 24 hours apart. Per NASCAR protocols, Gaughan will have to go through the same process before he returns to the race track with Beard Motorsports.

The good news for Gaughan is that his next scheduled Cup race is not until Aug. 29 at Daytona (Fla.) Int’l Speedway. He’ll round out his career at NASCAR’s top level on Oct. 4 at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.

Gaughan is running the four superspeedway events on the schedule, split between Daytona and Talladega, as part of his final season of Cup Series racing. He turned 45 on July 10.

Most recently, Gaughan finished 21st at Talladega on June 22, and has not been to the race track since. He earned his best-career Daytona 500 finish back in February by crossing the line seventh in the Great American Race.