AALST, Belgium – Honda Racing Corporation and its top MotoGP racer, Marc Marquez, agreed to a two-year contract extension on Tuesday.
The agreement keeps Marquez with Honda’s factory team, the Repsol Honda team, through 2016.
The 21-year-old Spaniard took the MotoGP world by storm when he won the championship in his rookie season last year.
Marquez has won every race so far this season, all from pole position.
Since joining Repsol Honda, Marquez has finished on the podium in all but two of his 22 MotoGP races. He’s posted 10 victories, six runner-up finishes and four third-place results. He’s also accumulated 13 poles in MotoGP competition.
“I am very happy to announce my renewal with HRC,” Marquez said. “I had always dreamt about being part of the Repsol Honda Team, and thanks to Honda the dream came true a year and a half ago.
“Everything happened very quickly last season, and I would have never imagined that I could achieve what we did. Becoming World Champion during my first season was another dream which became reality. It is a great honor to be a part of the Honda family and I’m glad to remain with this special group of people for another two seasons.”
Marquez arrives at this weekend’s French Grand Prix leading the Rider’s Championship by 28 points after four rounds.
“We are very satisfied to have reached an agreement to keep Marc in the team for a further two seasons,” HRC Vice President Shuhei Nakamoto said.
“Of course, as Honda we wanted to keep Marc in our family, and he also wanted to stay with us, so it was natural to renew the contract even if it is very early in the season. He is enjoying a fantastic start to 2014 and even though he is still learning, his ability to absorb information and adapt to the machine is remarkable.”