INDIANAPOLIS – Red Bull Air Race World Championship officials confirmed Wednesday that the high-speed airplane series will cease operations later this year.
The final race for the organization will be held Sept. 7-8 in Chiba, Japan. As such, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway round planned for Oct. 19-20 has been officially cancelled.
“We were informed this morning by management of the Red Bull Air Race organization that the 2019 championship will be suspended after September and that this year’s round at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, scheduled for Oct. 19-20, is canceled,” said track president J. Douglas Boles. “We are disappointed that we will not host another Red Bull Air Race event, and I know many of our fans will be disappointed, as well. We enjoyed watching the pilots navigate the unique course over the Indianapolis Motor Speedway grounds, and we were especially excited to see American pilot Michael Goulian celebrate a well-earned victory last year.
“Customers who already purchased tickets to this year’s event will receive refunds,” Boles added. “They will receive an email with information on that process.”
More than 90 races have been held since the series began in 2003, which have given pilots the opportunity to compete in high-speed flying at low altitude with extreme maneuvers.
“The Red Bull Air Race provided sports entertainment of highest quality, but did not attract the level of outside interest as many other Red Bull events across the world,” series organizers said in a statement. “Red Bull thanks the pilots, their teams, partners, the host cities and the Red Bull employees for all they have done to make these enjoyable and memorable events.”