MOORESVILLE, N.C. – IndyCar’s search for a third engine manufacturer to join Honda and Chevrolet will have to go in a different direction after Ferrari told Red Bull’s Speed Week that it is not interested in joining the series.
“After our discussions, we came to the conclusion that we will not be entering IndyCar anytime soon,” Scuderia Ferrari boss Mattia Binotto told Red Bull’s Speed Week. “That might be possible in the medium and long term. But today we want to concentrate our investments on Formula One involvement.”
Ferrari had been rumored to be interested in discussing a deal with IndyCar to be part of the NTT IndyCar Series, but Friday’s revelation will put an end to that speculation.
IndyCar will change its engine formula from the current 2.2-liter, twin-turbo V6 architecture to 2.4 liters beginning in 2023. That will include an increase in horsepower from 700 horsepower without push-to-pass, to 800 horsepower with a new, spec, kinetic energy recovery system, capable of adding 80-100hp.
That would bring the total horsepower output to 900hp utilizing the hybrid assist.
Mark Rushbrook, the Global Director of Ford Motorsports, participated in a NASCAR Media Zoom conference on Friday and was asked if his company had any interest in pursuing an IndyCar engine program.
“We love Mr. (Roger) Penske and our relationship with him,” Rushbrook said of the NASCAR team owner who also owns IndyCar, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. “What we are always looking for in our motorsports cycle plan is where is the best place for us to race, for a lot of different reasons. Some of that is technology and architecture. The future they have in IndyCar with some of the changes they are making are good changes for the sport, but we don’t have anything to announce or talk about at this point.
“There are always discussions on topics like that that go on.”