INDIANAPOLIS – What began as a short celebration after Scott Dixon won the third Indianapolis 500 pole in his career turned into the four-time Verizon IndyCar Series champion looking down the barrel of a gun at a Taco Bell drive-through less than a half-mile from Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Dixon, along with his wife, Emma, and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti were robbed at gunpoint Sunday night.
“I don’t know the details of it but the police jumped on it immediately and caught all the kids that were involved,” Chip Ganassi Managing Director Mike Hull told SPEED SPORT.
Chris Simmons is Dixon’s engineer and told SPEED SPORT that Dixon and Franchitti had called four popular downtown restaurants including Oceanaire and Palomino but it was close to 10 p.m. and they were all closed on Sunday night. Dixon, who is staying at the track in his motorhome, had just finished media dutiesm including a satellite media tour that had concluded after 9 p.m.
“They called four restaurants downtown and they were all closed on Sunday night,” Simmons told SPEED SPORT.
So, they decided to grab some Taco Bell food and bring it back to the track to eat. That is when they were approached by two teenagers who attempted to rob the trio at 10 p.m.
According to an Indianapolis Metro Police Department report, “The victims stated two males robbed them at gunpoint and fled north on Berwick (Avenue) on foot.”
Two teenagers, ages 14 and 15, were later arrested.
Dixon was driving a vehicle owned by the Honda Motor Corporation at the time of the incident.
Earlier in the day, Dixon won the pole for the pole for the 101st Indianapolis 500 with a four-lap average of 232.164 miles per hour in his Honda.
“Scott told me that was scarier than my setup,” Simmons said. “Little did Scott know that qualifying with my setup wasn’t going to be the scariest thing of the day.”
Dixon’s wife Emma waved the green flag to start practice on Monday.
“I can’t really go into the details about it but it was very, very sketchy,” Emma told SPEED SPORT. “Even though we’re not from here, we really love this city and we live here.
“Yesterday was fantastic and we still went to bed super happy because winning the pole for the Indianapolis 500 is very, very special.”
The team issued a statement at SPEED SPORT ’s request regarding the robbery shortly after Monday’s Indianapolis 500 began.
“Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti are completely fine after being held up last night by two men at a fast food restaurant in Speedway, Ind.,” the statement said. “Thank you to everyone for all of your concerns about their well-being. However, we will allow the Speedway/Indianapolis police departments to handle the situation and while they conduct their investigation we will refrain from making any further comments to allow Scott to focus on the upcoming Indianapolis 500.”