INDIANAPOLIS — Four-time Indy car champion Sebastien Bourdais has been named the sole driver of A.J. Foyt Racing’s No. 14 entry for the 2021 NTT IndyCar Series season.
This year Bourdais had been scheduled to share driving duties of the No. 14 with veteran Tony Kanaan and rookie Dalton Kellett. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Bourdais has not turned a lap for the team this year.
Originally scheduled to drive for Foyt in the first three races of 2020, Bourdais will now drive in the final three races of the season, beginning with the Harvest Grand Prix doubleheader on the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oct. 2-3.
“This is exciting news for all of us,” said Bourdais. “We waited with anticipation for most of 2020 to put together a deal for 2021. I’m really happy that I’m running the last three races of the year – it is great for us to get an early start on next year. 2020 has been a very strange year so far and I can’t wait to finally get behind the wheel of the A.J. Foyt Racing Chevrolet No. 14.”
A.J. Foyt Racing President Larry Foyt is elated with the signing of Bourdais for next year.
“I’m happy to have this deal done and welcome Sebastien to A.J. Foyt Racing,” Foyt said. “The short time we have been able to work together showed a great deal of promise, and it was a shame that his races with us were derailed by the pandemic. I’m glad we were able to add some of these races back on the schedule, as it will undoubtedly help us kickstart his full-time campaign for 2021. His resume speaks for itself, and there is no denying he is a great addition to our program.”
Kellett was originally scheduled to compete in the Harvest Grand Prix driving the No. 14, but he will now move to the No. 41 K-Line Insulators Chevrolet, the number under which he made his debut in this year’s Indianapolis 500.
The team will also field the No. 4 Tresiba Chevrolet for Charlie Kimball, who is driving full time for Foyt this season.