SILVERSTONE, U.K. – Officials from BWT Racing Point F-1 Team – which will transition to Aston Martin Racing after this season – confirmed Thursday morning that four-time Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel will join the outfit for the 2021 season.
The move, which had been speculated ever since Ferrari’s announcement that Vettel would not return to Maranello, gives Vettel a chance to remain on the grid with a manufacturer-backed operation next year.
Vettel replaces the outgoing Sergio Perez, who confirmed Wednesday afternoon that he will depart the current Racing Point squad at the end of the season after a seven-year partnership.
“Everybody at Silverstone is hugely excited by this news. Sebastian is a proven champion and brings a winning mentality that matches our own ambitions for the future as Aston Martin F1 Team,” said team principal Otmar Szafnauer. “On a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Sebastian is one of the best in the world, and I can’t think of a better driver to help take us into this new era. He will play a significant role in taking this team to the next level.”
For Vettel, his signing with Aston Martin gives him a chance to add to an F-1 resume that includes four driving titles, 53 wins and 57 pole positions.
“I am pleased to finally share this exciting news about my future. I’m extremely proud to say that I will become an Aston Martin driver in 2021,” Vettel said. “It’s a new adventure for me with a truly legendary car company. I have been impressed with the results the team has achieved this year and I believe the future looks even brighter. The energy and commitment of Lawrence [Stroll] to the sport is inspiring and I believe we can build something very special together.
“I still have so much love for Formula 1 and my only motivation is to race at the front of the grid,” he added. “To do so with Aston Martin will be a huge privilege.”