SUZUKA, Japan – Toro Rosso will release Carlos Sainz Jr. following the Japanese Grand Prix so that he may move to Renault beginning with the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas on Oct. 22.
As a result of Sainz’s departure, Daniil Kvyat will return to Toro Rosso for the remainder of the season alongside rookie Pierre Gasly.
“First of all I would like to thank Toro Rosso and Red Bull for allowing me the possibility of finishing this season with Renault Sport Racing,” Sainz said.
“More specifically, I really want to thank all my engineers and mechanics for their support and tremendous work throughout these years. Toro Rosso is made up of a fantastic group of people and I wish them only the best for the future.
“On my side, I will definitely do my very best in tomorrow’s race… this would be the best possible send-off. Additionally, competing in these last four races with Renault gives me a good opportunity to get to know the team and the car earlier than expected. I am looking forward to start working with them.”
Sainz was previously confirmed to join Renault in 2018 on loan from Red Bull. Sainz will replace Jolyon Palmer at Renault.
“The Japanese Grand Prix will be my last race for Renault,” Palmer said. “It’s been an extremely challenging season and I’ve been through a lot in the last three years, but it’s been a tremendous journey overall with the team.
“I can look back proudly at the performance in the second half of last season, my first point in Malaysia and of course reaching a career high of sixth place in Singapore this year. I wish the team all the best for the future.”