F2 Racer Anthoine Hubert Dies In Spa Crash


STAVELOT, Belgium – Competitor Anthoine Hubert died Saturday after being involved in a crash in the FIA Formula Two event at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.

Hubert, the 22-year-old reigning GP3 Series champion and son of French rally driver Francois Hubert, was battling for a place inside the top-10 on the second lap of the race when he was involved in a crash at Eau Rouge.

Giuliano Alesi lost control of his car in the incident, leading to Hubert to also crash. Hubert’s car was then struck by the car driven by Juan Manuel Correa at the exit of the Raidillon corner.

Hubert was extracted from his car and attended to by medical personnel, but he succumbed to his injuries more than an hour later according to a statement from the FIA, Formula Two’s sanctioning body.

Correa was taken to a local hospital and was in stable condition according to the FIA statement while Alesi was checked and released from the medical center. The remainder of the Formula Two event was canceled Saturday afternoon and Sunday’s second event was also canceled.

The full statement from the FIA can be found below:

The Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) regrets to advise that a serious incident involving cars #12, #19 and #20 occurred at 17:07 on 31/08/19 as a part of the FIA Formula 2 Sprint Race at Spa-Francorchamps, round 17 of the season.

The scene was immediately attended by emergency and medical crews, and all drivers were taken to the medical centre.

As a result of the incident, the FIA regrets to inform that the driver of car #19, Antoine Hubert (FRA), succumbed to his injuries, and passed away at 18:35.

The driver of car #12, Juan-Manuel Correa (USA), is in a stable condition and is being treated at the CHU Liège hospital. More information on his condition will be provided when it becomes available.

The driver of car #20 Giuliano Alesi (FRA) was checked and declared fit at the medical centre.

The FIA is providing support to the event organisers and the relevant authorities, and has commenced an investigation into the incident.