JAMAICA, Va. – Officials at Virginia Motor Speedway have confirmed that the USA 100 will return to the 2013 schedule with a new date and sanctioning body.
The 34th annual USA 100 will now be contested on May 18 and be sanctioned by the Ultimate Super Late Model Series. The event will pay $10,000 to win and continue with the fan friendly format of two 25-lap qualifying races to make it into the 50-lap feature.
“The USA 100 is one of the longest running late model events in the country and we felt it was important to keep the tradition going. After discussions with Ernie Shelton, the owner of the USA 100, and Stan Lester of the Ultimate Super Late Model Series a deal was struck to bring it back for 2013,” commented track owner Bill Sawyer.
The USA 100 will take the place of the previously scheduled Ultimate Super Late Model sanctioned Mid-Atlantic Spring Championship on May 18. This will be the third year that the series has sanctioned an event at the half-mile speed plant.
“It’s an honor to be a part of one of the county’s longest running races. I appreciate Ernie Shelton, Bill Sawyer and the staff of Virginia Motor Speedway for intrusting the Ultimate Super Late Model Series with sanctioning this time honored event; I look forward to many successful years ahead,” said Lester.
This will be the eighth year that the USA 100 will be contested at Virginia Motor Speedway. In the previous seven years there has yet to be a repeat winner. Shelton, with sanctioning from the Mid-Atlantic Championship Series (MACS), first brought the event to the speedway in 2006.
“This takes us back to our roots by having a regional touring series sanction the event and I looking forward to working with the Ultimate Super Late Model Series this year; as I have stated in the past the perfect home for the USA 100 is and will always be Virginia Motor Speedway,” said Shelton.
More details about the event will be released at a later date.