Bailes Conquers Screven’s Rebel Yell


SYLVANIA, Ga. – Ross Bailes led all 53 laps on his way to a $10,000 payday during the 20th annual Rebel Yell at Screven Motor Speedway on Saturday.

Bailes’ victory was his first Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series presented by Sunoco Race Fuels win and made him the 39th different winner in tour history.

The win for Bailes came in the seat of the Bailes Construction, Felony Farms, STI Trucking, Nichols Plumbing, Penske Shocks, Hoosier Tire, VP Racing Fuels, FK Rod Ends-sponsored No. 87 Barry Wright ICON Race Cars, Clements Race Engines-powered machine.

Bailes took the race lead at the start of the Rebel Yell main event, with Tanner English, Brandon Overton, Casey Roberts, and Michael Brown giving chase.

English and Overton engaged in a battle for second until Overton looped his machine in turn one on lap five. Back underway, only one more circuit was completed before Michael Page slowed on the track in turn four and slowed the action once again.

The next restart saw the caution wave again in turn two, when Donald McIntosh slowed in turn two to keep action halted. The next attempted restart saw an eight-car tangle before everyone went by the flagstand, becoming a red flag as the track became blocked.

After the track was cleared, Bailes continued to lead the way and Michael Brown drew the next caution on lap eight, when he slowed in turn one with a flat left-rear tire.

Back underway, Bailes maintained the lead, with English second and Chris Ferguson rolling the topside and making his way to third. English and Ferguson battled for the second position until Ferguson did a 360-degree-spin in turn two on lap 19.

Ferguson continued racing, falling back to the sixth spot and not drawing the caution.

Bailes started working slower traffic on lap 20, and allowing English to close the distance between himself and Bailes. Overton drew another caution on lap 27 after making his way back up to seventh position from his earlier spin. During that yellow, second-running English had to be pushed to the pit area after mechanical woes struck his mount.

The race resumed for another six laps before John Henderson slowed on the track in turn four. This restart saw Bailes again scoot away from the field at the point, while Jake Knowles and Casey Roberts began an entertaining battle for the second position that would see Roberts take the spot on lap 35.

Bailes maintained a comfortable lead, while Knowles continued to challenge Roberts lap after lap, with the duo racing side-by-side for the position for several laps. Ferguson finally worked his way to the fourth position, but spun his entry in turn two on lap 51 to set up a sprint to the finish.

Ferguson drew the final caution on the restart and took his machine to the pit area.

Bailes then led the final few circuits to claim the victory, with Roberts edging Knowles for the second position. Trent Ivey and Dennis Franklin completed the top five finishers.

The remainder of the top 10 was comprised of Anthony Sanders, Michael Brown, Corey Gordon, Cla Knight, and Clint Smith.

The finish:

Ross Bailes, Casey Roberts, Jake Knowles, Trent Ivey, Dennis Franklin, Anthony Sanders, Michael Brown, Corey Gordon, Cla Knight, Clint Smith, Austin Smith, Chesley Dixon, Chris Ferguson, John Henderson, Tanner English, Brandon Overton, Ryan Crane, Kenny Collins, Donald McIntosh, Michael Page, Brian Conner, Tyler Clem, Steven Roberts, Aaron Ridley, Clay Harris.